Employment at the Library
Are you interested in working for the Dolton Public Library District? Then check out the jobs available.
Available Position: Circulation Clerk
- Support staff position involving a variety of tasks related to the circulation and interlibrary loan of library materials for patrons.
Essential Job Functions:
- Provide consistent courteous and friendly service to the library patrons.
- Check library materials in and out for patrons.
- Issuing and renewing library cards for patrons.
- Processing patron holds for material.
- Assist patrons with photocopying.
- Assist patrons with faxing documents.
- Perform clerical duties such as typing and filing.
- Provide entry on the library’s computer system.
- Assist patrons with questions regarding their library accounts.
- Ability to create the “pick list” for Interlibrary Loan purposes with other consortium libraries.
- Safeguarding patron privacy; handles patron financial matters with discretion.
- Collecting and recording of fines and fees accurately.
- Assist at the Circulation Desk by answering in-person and telephone inquiries.
- Locating desired materials in the library’s collections and answering patron inquiries.
- Oversee the appropriate use of library facilities.
- Help to establish and maintain a high level of customer service performance standards.
- Help to keep the collection inventory properly organized.
- Orient patrons to the library by informing them of services available and the location of the same.
- Perform opening/closing procedures in the circulation work area of the library.
- Perform any other tasks as assigned.
- Maintain the appearance and order of the circulation desk in an orderly fashion.
- Assist with shelving when needed.
While performing the duties of this position, the employee may frequently be required to reach with their hands and arms, stand, walk, sit, use hands to finger, grasp, handle, feel or operate objects, tools, or controls, talk and hear. Hand-eye coordination is necessary to operate computers and various office equipment. The employee may occasionally be required to climb, balance, stoop and crouch. The employee may occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities are required for this position that includes close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus. May require standing for prolonged periods of time.
Work is performed amid normal conditions of dust, odors, fumes and noises.
Knowledge, Skill, Ability:
- Work well independently and takes initiative to successfully execute work responsibilities.
- Ability to maintain attention to detail while performing repetitive tasks.
- High degree of accuracy needed.
- Ability to take direction and assignments from supervisor.
- Willingness to ask questions and seek clarification when needed.
- Willing to accept feedback.
- Must be able to read and file material alphabetically by the Dewey Decimal System or other filing systems.
- Implementation and knowledge of circulation policies and procedures.
- Computer literacy along with knowledge of office equipment.
- Organized and detail-oriented.
- Exercise resourcefulness to achieve departmental goals.
- Work in a pleasant and effective manner with patrons, co-workers, and other entities.
- Demonstrate a working knowledge of library principles and practices.
- Enjoy reading and using materials commonly found in libraries and helping others of all ages enjoy and use library resources.
- Ability to meet and relate to the public and staff members in a positive and constructive manner.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide all units of measure.
- Knowledge of general office equipment, including but not limited to: copy machines, computers, scanners, facsimile machines; instructs patrons as necessary.
- Ability to accurately type.
- Flexibility to deal with simultaneous multiple, unexpected tasks and patrons.
- A reliable means of transportation is required to be able to attend any CE (Continuing Education) meetings and seminars.
- Ability to deal with the public and colleagues in a courteous manner.
- Ability to make decisions, other than a routine nature in order to solve a problem.
- Ability to work collaboratively.
- Positive attitude with people from all backgrounds and abilities.
- Neat personal appearance.
- Pleasing, calm demeanor.
- Superior interpersonal and communication skills.
- High school diploma or equivalent required.
- At least two (2) years library experience, preferably in a public library.
- Ability to follow written and oral instructions.
- Knowledge and ability of computers and their applications.
- Ability to read, write and speak English fluently.
- Must be able to work an arrangement of days, nights, and weekends.
This job description is not, nor is it intended to be, a complete statement of all duties, functions and responsibilities which comprise this position. (Revised 9/2016)
The Dolton Public Library District is an Equal Opportunity Employer. It provides equal employment opportunities regardless of race, color, national origin, citizenship status, age, religion, marital status, disability, sex, gender, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, military or veteran status, or any other category protected by law.
Interested parties: Send Cover Letter, Resume and three (3) references to the following:
Dolton Public Library District
14037 Lincoln Avenue
Dolton, IL 60419
Or email this same information to the following: lincoln@doltonpubliclibrary